- Town Clerk
- Motor Vehicle Registration
Motor Vehicle Registration
Last Content Update:
- What type of payment does the Town of Hanover accept?
The Town of Hanover accepts cash, certified bank checks, cashiers’ checks, personal checks (starter checks not accepted), or money order. Debit and Credit cards are also accepted with a 2.99% or $2.50 minimum convenience fee applied.
- Can I get any plate type at the Town offices?
The Town of Hanover CAN issue regular NH license plates, Moose plates, vanity plates / initial plates, motorcycle plates, trailer plates, vanity antique plates, vanity motorcycle plates, vanity trailer plates, vanity Moose plates, Agricultural, Farm, and Tractor plates
The Town CANNOT issue regular antique plates, veteran plates of any kind, commercial plates, Pearl Harbor plates, Purple Heart plates, moped pleated dirt bike plates, Handicap plates, and apportioned plates. These plates can be obtained through the State of New Hampshire DMV Offices. Please call the State DMV at 603-271-2251 for questions regarding these types of plates.
- What do I need to obtain a New Hampshire driver's license?
Driver's licenses are obtained through any office of the State's Department of Motor Vehicles. The Concord DMV Office can be reached at 603-271-2251; phone numbers for local DMV offices are not available to the public.
Driver's licensing can be done Monday through Friday at the Claremont DMV.
You will need to produce the following documents to secure your driver's license:
- An original or certified copy of your birth certificate or passport - these documents must be in your current name; if not, then the legal document indicating your name change must be presented
- A current valid out-of-state drivers license
- Proof of residency
- What do I need to register or renew a current registration for a vehicle? What should I bring with me to process this transaction?
You will need to provide us with the current registration or the renewal notice. Pursuant to the State of New Hampshire Privacy Act Law, Records and Certifications RSA 260:14, if you are unable to provide your vehicle information to us, we cannot "fill in the blanks" and provide it to you.
- How do I transfer my license plates from my old car to my new car?
You will need to provide us with the current unexpired registration for the old vehicle, and the paperwork from the dealer or seller on the new vehicle. License plates are solely owned by the first person listed on the registration and can only be transferred and any credit applied to a registration that again reflects the same individual as the first person on the registration. If there is a leasing company involved, you can transfer your plates as long as the lessee is the same as the owner of the plates.
- I just bought a new car, what do I need to bring with me to register it?
Please note that a title is a legal document and is required to be completed accurately and in its entirety by the SELLER in order for us to process your transaction.
- If you purchased your car from a New Hampshire dealership, you will need the blue title application marked "Town Clerk's Copy."
- If the vehicle that you purchased is newer than the current year, you will need to bring in the vehicle window sticker showing the price, as we will not have access to the MSRP.
- If you purchased your vehicle out of state, you will need to bring the original title or certificate of origin.
- If you purchased your vehicle through a private sale, you will need to bring the original title which has been correctly assigned to you by the seller.
- If you have purchased a vehicle that is more than 15 years old, you will need a bill of sale, and one of these 3 items:
- An original title
- A previous NH registration for that vehicle
- A verification of the vehicle identification number
- If I move out of state prior to the expiration of my registration, do I receive a refund for the unused portion?
No, the State of New Hampshire nor the Town of Hanover provides a refund if you move.
- I have just moved to Hanover from another town in New Hampshire. Do I need to change my address on my registration and drivers license?
You will need to provide proof of Hanover residency to have your address changed on your license and registration here at the Town Office. You will need to complete a Record Change Request Form. Access the NH DMV Record Change Request Form.
- I have just moved to Hanover from another state. What do I need to bring with me to register my cars?
You should bring the following with you to Town Hall:
- Proof of Hanover Residency such as a Lease Agreement, a Utility Bill; or if you are a student living on campus, a letter from the Office of Residential Life confirming your on-campus residency
- Current out-of-state registration and original title if you hold the title to your vehicle. If you do not hold the title to your vehicle, we will need the full name and address of the lien holder and/or leasing company
- Mileage at time of purchase
- The date you purchased the vehicle