The Planning & Zoning Department reviews plans for the construction or alteration of buildings/structures for compliance with a number of codes. The Town has adopted a Building Code Ordinance which summarizes the different codes enforced by this office. Copies of these codes are available for use in the Planning & Zoning office and can be ordered for purchase as well.
Prior to the construction or alteration of any building/structure it is necessary for the property owner to obtain a building permit from this office. To apply for a permit, the owner or his/her agent must submit an application on the forms provided from this office.
When applying for a building permit it is necessary to provide complete plans of the work proposed. For a one- or two-family residential projects, submission requirements may include:
- Floor plans and elevations.
- Electrical plans showing lights, switches and receptacles as well as detailed information on services and feeder circuits.
- Plumbing plans. Plumbing fixtures should be shown on the floor plans. A riser diagram of the drains and vents is also required.
- Heating system data including venting details.
- Fireplace and chimney details.
- Information demonstrating compliance with the N.H. Energy Code including insulation of the entire building, window insulation values and areas of windows as a percentage of the wall area of the building.
- Second means of escape provisions as required by the Life Safety Code.
- Smoke detector locations.
- Approved Driveway Permit.
- Approved Septic System Permit.
- Plan showing well location.
Commercial/multi-family projects often require plans prepared by a registered architect or engineer. Submission requirements may include the following:
- Fire alarm
- Fire suppression
- Site work
Building permit fees depend upon the type of permit (One- & Two-Family Projects vs. Commercial/Multi-family Projects) and scope of work. See the Town of Hanover Rate and Fee Schedule for current charges.
Once a building permit is issued, the permit card must be displayed on the project site where it is visible from the road.