With Halloween quickly approaching, the Hanover Police Department would like to remind the community to be safe during fall festivities; especially those who will be attending evening events or who plan to "trick-or-treat." Halloween falls on a Tuesday this year, and police are reminding parents and children to exercise caution, and be aware of their surroundings at all times while they are "trick-or-treating." In an effort to keep the community informed, and foster a high level of public safety, the Hanover Police Department expresses the following tips for Halloween:
- Avoid trick-or-treating alone - walk in groups or with a trusted adult.
- See something? Say something. Emergencies call 911; Hanover Police/Fire direct line, (603) 643-2222.
- Examine all treats for choking hazards and tampering before consumption.
- Always utilize a flashlight to make sure you can see and be seen.
- Look both ways before crossing the street and use dedicated crosswalks when available. Drivers, please exercise extreme caution.
- Wherever possible, only walk on sidewalks; where sidewalks are not available, walk on the far edge of the road in the opposite direction of traffic.
- Only visit well-lit houses. NEVER accept rides from strangers.
Any parents or residents with questions about Halloween safety are encouraged to contact the Hanover Police Department at (603) 643-2222.