I just saw a deer / raccoon / moose / bear / etc. What should I do?

It is not uncommon to see animals such as deer, foxes, raccoons, skunks, and other wild animals in our neighborhoods. We also receive reports each year of moose in the downtown area and bear in the more rural areas. We STRONGLY suggest securing trash barrels and removing bird and animal feeders as they attract bears. We also remind residents that if they see bear cubs in their yard, they can be sure that an adult bear is somewhere nearby. It is common for a mother bear to tree their cubs while they search for food, leaving them for several days at a time. While it may seem that the cubs have been abandoned or are in danger because they are crying, please do not approach the cubs!

While a Hanover Police Officer may respond to some calls related to "wild" animals, typically the NH Department of Fish and Game will handle these calls because they are specially trained and equipped to deal with them. Please reach out to them with any questions or concerns.

Show All Answers

1. When can I get fingerprinted?
2. Is there a charge to be fingerprinted?
3. How do I get a copy of a Police / Accident Report?
4. How do I get a Criminal Background Check?
5. How do I get a NH Resident Pistol / Revolver License (Concealed Weapon Permit)?
6. Do you offer "Livescan" electronic fingerprinting?
7. What do I do if I see a stray / abandoned animal?
8. I just saw a deer / raccoon / moose / bear / etc. What should I do?
9. How do I get a "Good Citizen Letter"?
10. I need a NH State Accident form. Where can I get one?
11. I am installing an alarm in my home or business. Where can I find information on having the Police monitor my alarm?
12. Does Hanover have a "Leash Law"?
13. Does Hanover have a "Noise Ordinance"?
14. Where can I get more information on the Alcohol Diversion Program?