Burning Permit Information

The Communications Center does not issue burning permits. In NH you are required to obtain a permit before conducting any kind of outdoor burning. To do so, contact your local Fire Warden or visit the NH State Division of Forest and Lands website to obtain one online.

We ask that you then call the Communications Center before you light your fire. We will document your name, the location you will be burning at, and a contact phone number. We take this information to prevent sending the fire department on a reported fire when it is actually a permitted burn.

Each day, the State of NH sets a "Fire Danger Level". A Burning Ban may be issued based on that level. In this case, no permits will be issued until the ban is lifted, and previously issued permits cannot be used until the danger is lower. You may call 866-643-4737 to hear a recording of the Fire Danger Level each day.

During the winter, when there is significant (6 inches or more) snow on the ground, a permit is not needed to burn; however, we still ask that you call Dispatch to notify us so we can document that you are burning and thus prevent sending the fire department.

Once snow coverage reaches less than 6 inches a burning permit is needed. In New Hampshire burning is restricted to after 5 pm unless there is a steady, soaking rainfall currently underway, in which case your Fire Warden may allow you to burn while it is raining prior to 5 pm.

Seasonal Cooking and Campfire permits are also available. These can be obtained for an entire calendar year.

Local Fire Wardens (PDF)

Visit the Division of Forest and Lands website to obtain a permit online.